Wednesday, November 01, 2006

So I suppose that this is the first time I have ever experienced ever putting my thoughts out there for others to read. I guess I am kind of old fashioned in that I like the idea of journals and pens as a means to jot down those things in life I want to remember. And I must admit that I have often thought of people reading all the things I have written in those journals posthumously. But alas, I thought I would give this a try, not so much for me (I have a feeling it will be kind of a pain in the ass feeling as if I have to write in this all the time), but for those who for some odd reason or another want to know what road life is taking me down. And also, though I don't feel in any way that I am doing anything "special" in my life that would warrant people wanting to read what I am doing, I do feel that life's path will take me to many interesting situations and into the paths of many amazing people. Thus, I do hope that by recounting some of the experiences that are awaiting for me, others can perhaps take interest in what is out there in the world.
So, that having been said, I titled this piece "The Beginning" because tommorow I am leaving for El Salvador for three years to work with a small Catholic, grassroots organization through the Mennonite Central Committee. I have traveled much throughout the last four years in Latin America and the Middle East, but never before has it quite felt like such a profound beginning as now. It's not just the amount of time (3 years really isn't that long), it's that I finally am beginning to feel like now life is at a jumping off point. Now, more than ever, I suppose I have finally grown up. Shit.... Well, this is where I begin, in a small basement at the MCC headquarters in Akron, PA. The challenge is always what lies ahead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home